Best Day Ever?
Celebrate Texas Chicken Fried Steak Day With Specials All Around Town.
By Melissa on Friday October 26 2012 at 2:09 PM
Long story short: Get ready for a celebration. And maybe a little history lesson, too?
Like a few other things made popular by us Texans, Chicken Fried Steak is a bit confusing because, no, it's not chicken. It's a steak to which the process of chicken frying has been applied. It's a Texas staple, really. Says Jeffrey Yarbrough, founder of Texas Chicken Fried Steak Day, who describes the meal as "Texas soul food": "No one does chicken-fried like Texans."
He's right, of course. And, to celebrate as much, Yarbrough has helped convince a number of Dallas-area restaurants to offer chicken fried steak specials today.
You'll find those all around -- at place including AllGood Cafe, El Ranchito, Sissy's Southern Kitchen, Bone Daddy's, Matt's Rancho Martinez and, well, many, many more.
Our personal favorite offer, however, comes from Norma's Cafe in Oak Cliff. They're going big by offering their famous chicken fried steak prepared five different ways. They're calling this offer the "Tour of Texas." Here are your choices:
• The Norma's Cafe Classic. Exactly what it sounds like: Chicken fried steak smothered in cream gravy.
• The San Jacinto. Chicken fried steak covered with chili and sprinkled with cheddar cheese, jalapenos and onions.
• The Panhandle. Chicken fried steak topped with cream gravy, green chilis and jack cheese.
• The Hill Country. Chicken fried steak topped with barbecue sauce, tender brisket, red onions and cheddar cheese.
• The By The Border. Chicken fried steak enchiladas doused with cream gravy and topped with cheddar cheese and jalapenos.
For a full list of participating restaurants visit the Texas Chicken Fried Steak Day Facebook page.